Closed: Deadline Monday, March 10, 2014 - 5:00pm
Contact: Sandra Cavalieri (email@example.com) (MSU) or Gay Allison (firstname.lastname@example.org) (UM)
Link to full opportunity announcement: http://montanaioe.org/about/opportunities/2014/ioe-statewide-summer-inte...
The Institute on Ecosystems’ (IoE) Summer Internship Program is accepting proposals for research projects in ecosystem science from undergraduates throughout the Montana University System and the Tribal Colleges. Internships will be awarded for work in environmental areas with a priority for working on projects that focus on one of the following IoE/MT-EPSCoR research areas:
1) feedbacks between microbial metabolism and ecosystem processes
2) linkages between landscape patterns and ecosystem processes
3) impacts of climate change on ecosystems through modeling, experimentation, and vulnerability assessments
Undergraduate interns must identify faculty mentors, and mentors must be affiliated faculty (hyperlink) of the IoE; interdisciplinary and inter-institutional projects are encouraged.
Funding for the internship program comes from the Montana NSF EPSCoR grant (subject to continued project funding); awards are subject to satisfactory adherence to all program rules and expectations (PDF opens in new window).
The application process is open to undergraduates from all MSU, UM, and tribal colleges campuses who will not graduate before December 2014. Applications and faculty mentor letters of recommendation are due by Monday, March 10. Awards will be announced by Monday, March 31.
• 10-12 week project, starting no later than June 2, 2014 (project timeframe is faculty mentor specific)
• $4000 stipend, paid in 3 installments: 1st-upon award, 2nd-July 15th, 3rd-upon reporting completion. (Additional funds available on a case by case basis to cover dorm housing at a different institution).
• Orientation on Monday, June 2, 2014 and two follow-up training sessions (dates TBD)
• Presentation of your research at the end of the summer program (presentations may be posters, oral, or both).
• Attendance (and poster presentation) at the IoE statewide summit, October 16-17, 2014, Helena, MT.